Creating a thoughtful home can be easier than you think, even if you aren’t “tech-savvy.” Today’s smart home technology allows even the latest of adapters an experience that is simple and accessible. Who helped pave the way? Nest.
Nest Labs imagined a thoughtful home, starting with the Nest Learning Thermostat – the first thermostat that learns from you to program itself. It can help you save energy, can be controlled from your phone with the Nest app, and did we mention it’s really good looking? Your thermostat can be more than a plain old box on your wall, and the Nest Thermostat definitely impresses guests.
The product first debuted in October 2011, and on September 1, 2015, the third generation product was announced.
Wondering what makes the 3rd gen Nest so hot, it will cool your home in the Texas heat and still help you save energy? Here are some of the new product features:
- More sensors, for better learning. Nest made saving energy simple. The Nest Thermostat learns from you to program itself, turns itself down when you’re away and can be controlled from anywhere with your phone. Now, it’s getting even better at learning from you.
- Larger screen, sharper image. The 3rd gen Nest Thermostat features a screen 40% larger than previous models, for ease of reading at wider viewing angles. Plus, the resolution is even crisper. Even with the larger screen, it’s still the thinnest thermostat of all models.
- With Farsight, the Nest Thermostat will spot you from across the room, and light up beautifully to show you the time and temperature you’ve set.
All the beauty, all the controls, and your home is all the more conscious. Time to talk the savings.
- Direct Energy offers the brand new, 3rd gen Nest Thermostat at no cost (a $249 value) when you sign up for one of their Comfort & Control plans.
- In independent studies, the Nest Thermostat saved an average of 10-12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills. Nest has estimated an average savings of $131 to $145 a year, which means it can pay for itself in under two years.
Direct Energy offers customers the tools and technology to use less energy, and by providing customers the Nest Thermostat with qualifying plans, they’re putting their money where their mouth is. “We want to empower our customers with the latest and greatest technology to manage their energy consumption,” says Shuchi Roy, Director of Innovation at Direct Energy. “The Nest Thermostat does the work for you once you teach it, and the 3rd generation looks stunning, too.”
And when it comes to conscious living, Direct Energy and Nest are doing great things for the community as well. As noted by the White House on August 24, 2015 in connection with a larger speech by President Obama outlining energy efficiency and renewable energy initiatives, Direct Energy has already provided over 1,700 programmable thermostats to low-income Texans to help them create energy efficient homes. Direct Energy and Nest Labs are also collaborating to deliver improved energy efficient tools to eligible low-income Texans.
Consciousness expands in your home when you are in good company.