School is out and the heat is on! It’s time to get outside and light up the grill, because super summery veggie skewers are what’s for dinner. June is the absolute best time in Texas for grilling vegetables, when summer fare like peppers and squash first appear in the produce section at your local H-E-B. All H-E-B brand products are made for Texas tastes, and the only thing that can improve those first tastes of the season? You guessed it: bacon.
The star of these summery grilled Bacon and Vegetable Skewers is H-E-B Premium Black Pepper Bacon, which adds a salty, smoky, and most of all peppery pop between each vegetable. Double smoked with both hickory and mesquite wood, this bacon is coated in lots of black pepper and other seasonings that add a Texas-sized kick, which in turn will flavor your entire skewer as it cooks for a uniquely Texan eating experience. It’s the perfect pairing for other Texan grilling favorites like red bell peppers, Baby Bella mushrooms, and zucchini, whether you serve this as a side to the first hot dogs of the season, or eat them all on their own as the main event.
And you don’t have to stop there! Other summer produce would work well on these skewers, too: try adding a few cherry tomatoes, or whole okra, or 1 ½-inch cubes of eggplant or red onion. You could even add cubes of melon for a little burst of sweetness. A shower of roughly chopped fresh parsley is a nice touch, or a drizzle of H-E-B That Green Sauce, if you like it spicy. Just make sure you cook the bacon until it’s nice and crispy, and move the skewers around the grill a lot so they don’t burn.
So celebrate the best that Texas summers have to offer and get that grill going! These bright, fresh, seasonal flavors are all available now, To Texas, With love, from H-E-B.
Bacon and Vegetable Skewers
Serves 6, 2 skewers per person
- 1 red bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- 1 8-ounce package H-E-B Texas Roots Organic Whole Baby Bella Mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed, and, if quite large, cut in half
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and cut into 1 ½-inch thick half moons
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 strips H-E-B Premium Black Pepper Bacon, cut into 1 ½-inch long pieces
- 12 Hill Country Fare Bamboo Skewers, soaked in water for 15-20 minutes before cooking
- Prepare a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetables. Add the vegetable oil and salt, and toss to combine until vegetables are evenly coated with oil.
- Set up each skewer: Pierce a piece of bacon and push it down the skewer. Pierce a piece of bell pepper, followed by another piece of bacon. Push the bacon and bell pepper down the skewer, and add a mushroom. Continue in this manner, adding pieces of bacon between the vegetables, until each skewer has two pieces each of pepper, mushroom, and zucchini. The skewer should start and end with bacon.
- Cook the skewers on the grill for 15 to 20 minutes, using tongs to turn them every couple minutes. The bacon should be crisp, and the vegetables charred and cooked through, but not mushy. Serve.