Jobs and Internships
Since 1973, Texas Monthly has chronicled life in contemporary Texas, reporting on vital issues such as politics, criminal justice, the environment, industry, and education. Often referred to as “the National Magazine of Texas,” Texas Monthly is known for smart, literary journalism and in-depth investigative reporting that illuminates issues of public policy and drives the discussion of what’s important in the Lone Star State. Additionally, Texas Monthly continues to be the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering music, the arts, travel, restaurants, museums, and cultural events with its insightful recommendations.
Texas Monthly offers a strong benefits package, including competitive health, dental, and life insurance. If you are interested in employment opportunities at Texas Monthly, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Are you passionate about Texas? Are you a creative thinker with strong business skills? Are you comfortable presenting in small groups and interacting with clients? If your answer is yes, Texas Monthly is looking to welcome a new addition to the marketing team. Candidates must be highly-organized, hardworking, detail-oriented, and willing to roll up their sleeves and lead projects working with a dynamic and creative team. To be a successful member, the Marketing Manager must be extremely organized and excel at multi-tasking and taking initiative to streamline and “own” projects from start to finish. Excellent communication skills and the ability to organize workloads and establish priorities in a fast-paced environment with fresh ideas and innovation is a must.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conceive, present, and execute marketing programs tailored to advertisers’ needs including but not limited to original print advertisements or “advertorials,” high-impact units, print and digital contests/sweepstakes, custom events, and “big ideas” developed across all media assets (print, digital, social, radio, experiential, etc.)
- Work with the design department on the creation of program-related assets, sales materials, and creative elements (i.e. sponsorship packages, sales sheets, email blasts, banner ads, social media creative, on-site collateral)
- Collaborate with sales reps to identify prospective advertisers and sponsors, attend client/agency calls and meetings with sales staff to present promotional opportunities
- Manage and reconcile program budgets
- Secure permits, trade agreements, and other legal documents for events
- Manage vendor relationships and negotiate rates
- Identify, negotiate, and manage new sponsorships, while overseeing existing sponsorships with local organizations and nonprofits across the state
- Establish production and promotional timelines; ensure all deadlines are met
- Work closely with internal business or audience development teams to establish, meet, and measure the marketing and business objectives of programs
- Coordinate creative brainstorms across departments to conceive custom programs
Successful candidate will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Strong leadership skills with calm disposition
- Knowledge of TABC laws and regulations statewide
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously under tight deadlines
- Strong relationship building/networking skills
- Collaborative personality
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to quickly and efficiently troubleshoot during planning process and on-site
- Strong creative skills and ability to develop compelling revenue driven programs
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum 5 years project and event management experience required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Fluent in Microsoft Office applications including Excel and PowerPoint
- Established relationships with statewide non-profits and creative vendors preferred
Some overnight travel and evening and weekend event support required.
College degree and one or more years administrative experience required.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position we encourage you to apply. If you are interested in employment opportunities at Texas Monthly, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.
HR & Payroll Coordinator
The HR & Payroll Coordinator manages day-to-day operations and administration of HR policies and procedures, payroll, benefits, and employee relations. The coordinator is approachable, fosters a culture of professionalism and high morale, and is available as a service and resource to employees.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Process payroll and time and attendance via a third-party payroll provider and respond to any employee questions regarding these matters
- Liaise with third-party benefits administrator for onboarding new hires and processing terminations
- Administer and explain to staff insurance and retirement benefits
- Advise and counsel employees on employment issues
- Consult and advise management on employee relations
- Update and maintain employee policies and handbook
- Coordinate and administer recruiting, hiring and termination processes
- Maintain employee records and files
- Respond to verifications of employment
- Ensure employment compliance with regulatory concerns and reporting
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Computer literacy with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Experience with Paycom and ADP preferred
- Strong communication skills including listening, verbal, and written
- Detail-oriented, accurate, and is a self-starter
- Broad knowledge/experience in employment law, compensation, benefits, employee relations
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Follows through on tasks and responsibilities independently
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position we encourage you to apply. Please send cover letter, resume to [email protected].
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED.
Texas Monthly is well known for its creative culture. Our people are knowledgeable and deeply committed to excellence. Because employees are the key to our success, Texas Monthly offers strong benefits and incentives, including health, dental and life insurance and a 401(k) contribution plan. For more information about Texas Monthly, visit our website at www.texasmonthly.com.
TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Internships are available each semester (fall, spring, and summer). All internships are unpaid and available only to undergraduate students enrolled in an accredited academic program at the time of the internship. Internship applications will only be considered if you are seeking an internship for credit or if you receive approval via a signed “Educational Endorsement” form from your university. For students at the University of Texas, only internships for credit will be considered. All internships include a 20 percent job-shadowing experience. If you are interested in gaining valuable experience in any of the departments listed below, please send a résumé and cover letter specifying the department(s) in which you would like to intern:
P.O. BOX 1569
Fax to: 512-476-9007
Email to: [email protected]