Since 1973, Texas Monthly has chronicled life in contemporary Texas, reporting on vital issues such as politics, criminal justice, the environment, industry, and education. Often referred to as “the National Magazine of Texas,” Texas Monthly is known for smart, literary journalism and in-depth investigative reporting that illuminates issues of public policy and drives the discussion of what’s important in the Lone Star State. Additionally, Texas Monthly continues to be the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering music, the arts, travel, restaurants, museums, and cultural events with its insightful recommendations.
Texas Monthly offers a strong benefits package, including competitive health, dental, and life insurance. If you are interested in employment opportunities at Texas Monthly, please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
News & Politics Editor
Our new News & Politics editor will lead the magazine’s breaking news, hard news, and political coverage, including such topics as education, criminal justice, business, the environment, and, perhaps most importantly, the legislature. Ideal candidates should be digitally fluent, literary-minded journalists who are able to move easily among mediums, story styles, and subject matters. They will be expected to cultivate a reliable and diverse stable of writers, meet deadlines (and help others do the same), and enthusiastically engage in social media in a manner that helps grow the magazine’s digital audience. The News & Politics editor will oversee our news coverage in the print, web, and podcast mediums, contribute to our efforts in the live events sphere, and help us formulate our web strategy.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Editing a mix of shorter pieces and the occasional feature for all media
- Developing quality story ideas and shepherding them from infancy to production
- Making freelance assignments and grooming new freelance talent
- Working with staff writers to generate a regular flow of high-quality news stories and analysis
- Crafting headlines, deks, and any manner of display type, for an array of platforms (print, web, social)
- Writing, especially for the web
- Creating compelling newsletters
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Great facility with language
- Enthusiasm for telling stories digitally and using modern web tools to do so
- A nose for good narratives and the ability to execute them
- Precise line-editing chops
- An appreciation for deadlines
- Three to five years’ experience editing, in print or online, preferred.
- Investigative experience is a plus.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate an intimate knowledge of Texas—its past, its present, and, above all else, the many opportunities it offers for great storytelling.
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Internships are available each semester (fall, spring, and summer). All internships are unpaid and available only to undergraduate students enrolled in an accredited academic program at the time of the internship. Internship applications will only be considered if you are seeking an internship for credit or if you receive approval via a signed “Educational Endorsement” form from your university. For students at the University of Texas, only internships for credit will be considered. All internships include a 20 percent job-shadowing experience. If you are interested in gaining valuable experience in any of the departments listed below, please send a résumé and cover letter specifying the department(s) in which you would like to intern:
P.O. BOX 1569
Fax to: 512-476-9007
Email to: [email protected]