Jobs and Internships
Since 1973, Texas Monthly has chronicled life in contemporary Texas, reporting on vital issues such as politics, criminal justice, the environment, industry, and education. Often referred to as “the National Magazine of Texas,” Texas Monthly is known for smart, literary journalism and in-depth investigative reporting that illuminates issues of public policy and drives the discussion of what’s important in the Lone Star State. Additionally, Texas Monthly continues to be the indispensable authority on the Texas scene, covering music, the arts, travel, restaurants, museums, and cultural events with its insightful recommendations.
- Production Coordinator
- Fact Checker
- Contract Writer, Medicine and Health Care
- WordPress/PHP Web Developer (Contract)
Texas Monthly is seeking an enthusiastic and organized Production Coordinator to join its production team. This person will work closely with advertisers, our advertising sales team, our TM Studio group, our marketing department, and our Production Directors.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Traffic print advertising materials for Texas Monthly and various TM Studio titles
- Communicate with advertising sales teams in multiple cities, including the closing of ad space
- Act as liaison between agencies, sales staff, production, audience development department, and printer regarding ad production issues and magazine order requests
- Assist with processing of print ads
- Lay out formatted advertorial special sections
- Prepare ad information for page layout software
- Prepare files for digital versions
- Distribute office copies to staff
- Attends press checks as needed
Successful candidates will possess the following skills/abilities:
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong background in customer service with internal and external clients
- Ability to solve problems or seek help with problems as needed
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team as well as independently
- Ability to multitask, and to work under deadline pressure while maintaining a calm attitude
- Understanding of or experience with print production
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop)
- Proficiency in Macintosh platform
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook knowledge helpful
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in a graphics-related field or an equivalent combination of skills and experience.
If you are a qualified candidate and interested in this position, we encourage you to apply. Please email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line.
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED. TEXAS MONTHLY IS AN EQUAL-OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
Texas Monthly is looking to hire a full-time fact checker, who will have the title of assistant editor and will work closely with others in the editorial department to ensure the accuracy, precision, and fairness of TM’s published material. While fact checkers’ primary duty is fact-checking all the articles that appear in the print magazine, they may also occasionally fact-check additional content, such as web-only features or narrative podcasts. The fact checker will also be encouraged to pitch and write articles for the print magazine and TexasMonthly.com.
This is a full-time position with generous benefits, including a comprehensive health insurance plan, 401(k) matching, profit sharing, and the opportunity for annual bonuses. Compensation is competitive and negotiable. TM’s main office is in Austin, Texas, and employees based in the Austin area are expected to come into the office two days a week; however, this position is open to fully remote candidates outside of Austin.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Checking articles for potential errors, imprecise language, and unfair passages by double-checking source materials and calling sources to confirm all factual details
- Working closely with writers and editors to address any inaccuracies or instances of imprecision or unfairness
- Upholding the values and standards of the Texas Monthly brand
Successful candidates will possess the following skills and abilities:
- Superior research skills
- Fastidiousness regarding details, deadlines, and organization
- The ability to communicate clearly and diplomatically with colleagues as well as sources
- Ability to adhere to deadlines and prioritize assignments
- Collaborative professional attitude
- Skill in reporting, interviewing, and writing
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus, as is a keen interest in, and knowledge of, the state of Texas
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
- Previous reporting, research, and/or fact-checking experience, preferably for a magazine
Interested candidates should email a résumé and a cover letter to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line. Applications for this position should be submitted by December 12 and may be reviewed on a rolling basis until that date. Promising applicants will be selected for an initial screening interview. Candidates who move forward in the hiring process from there will be asked to take a fact-checking test. Finalists will then have an interview with the editor-in-chief and other major stakeholders, as well as with the other fact checkers on staff. Potential candidates who are interested in learning more about the position before applying can book an informational phone call with the director of editorial operation at this link.
Texas Monthly is committed to diversity and cultivating an inclusive environment. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or veteran status.
Contract Writer, Medicine and Health Care
Texas Monthly is looking for a freelance writer who can report and write two articles a month on medical and health care issues across the Lone Star State. We seek stories both about groundbreaking innovations and the persistent problems plaguing these fields. Beyond merely reporting the latest news, this coverage will focus on narratives and characters to make often-complex medical issues relatable and compelling for readers. This is a contract position available to writers based anywhere in Texas and will report to the senior editor for business and innovation.
Contract responsibilities include:
- Writing two articles per month for Texas Monthly, including one front-of-book print column every other month
- Pitching story ideas regularly to the senior editor for business and innovation
- Communicating regularly with the senior editor, including responding promptly to edits
Successful candidates will possess the following:
- Previous experience reporting on medicine and health care
- An ability to write compelling narrative- and character-focused stories
- An ability to develop story ideas that appeal to a wide general audience
- Knowledge of the health care and medical landscape in Texas
If you are a qualified candidate, please email a cover letter and résumé to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line. Promising applicants will be selected for an initial screening interview; candidates who move forward in the hiring process from there will be given a paid freelance writing assignment for Texas Monthly; the senior editor will select a contract writer based on the success of the freelance assignment.
Texas Monthly Journalism Internships
Texas Monthly’s journalism internships are paid and are available each fall, spring, and summer semester to current undergraduate or graduate students or to those who have just graduated. The journalism internships, spread across the following three departments, all involve a mix of education, mentorship, and real-world training in magazine journalism in its myriad forms:
What we do: The editorial department tells stories through words and photographs, illustrations, and infographics. Our specialties are long-form narrative journalism on topics that have ranged from the incarceration of innocent men to the breaking of a wild mustang; good, old-fashioned service journalism (see our list of the state’s 50 greatest barbecue joints or the 175 places in Texas you should undeniably visit before you die); and stunning photography. But no matter the subject matter or approach, our mission remains simple: to inform and entertain our readers on the past, present, and future of the state in which they live.
What you would do: As an editorial intern, you’ll pitch story ideas, transcribe interviews, fact-check smaller assignments for the magazine, aid in the digitization of forty years’ worth of archived content, assist with writing/research projects for TM’s social media channels, and research a wide range of topics, from food and true crime to politics and culture. An intern with special interests and/or a tenacious attitude will likely be able to take on projects specially tailored to their interests or strengths.
Interns also participate in monthly learning sessions that delve into writing, editing, fact-checking, and other aspects of the magazine process with Texas Monthly staffers. The managing editor, assistant editor for operations, and a senior editor all help manage the interns, but each intern also gets paired with an editorial staffer whose expertise aligns with the intern’s interests and who will serve as their mentor through the internship.
Hours: 15 hours a week in the fall and spring semesters; 35 hours a week in the summer
Requirements: Writing opportunities aren’t guaranteed, but they do crop up from time to time, so facility with language and various modes of communication—for print, online, and social media outlets—is a must. A voracious appetite for storytelling and Texas news is also highly encouraged.
TM Recording Studio
What we do: The recording studio at Texas Monthly is a full-service, professional space from which we produce a variety of projects, from podcasts to video series, from audio assets for online user experience to music production.
What you would do: Assist our recording studio director with all aspects of sound and video production. Some responsibilities will include: Help record, edit, assemble and mix audio for podcasts and video projects. Assist with microphone placement, signal routing, gain staging and recording in Pro Tools. Work with producers and talent to edit and assemble audio assets. Help to mix audio and generate masters for podcasts and audio for video. Help create music and sound design as needed for podcasts and video projects. Occasionally work remotely to capture audio assets—both on your own or as part of a video production. Assist our video production team as needed, help set up, and prepare sets for video. Help manage studio booking, organizing, and scheduling. The internship will allow for opportunities to contribute ideas and learn about all facets of our recording operations. Additional projects can be developed around the intern’s strengths.
Hours: 15 to 20 hours a week
Requirements: This position requires the candidate be proficient with Pro Tools, microphones, patch bays/signal routing, plugins, virtual instruments, outboard gear, MIDI, timecode, boom operation.
What we do: Our award-winning art department has been creating stunning, high-concept designs to tell stories about Texas and Texans since 1973.
What you would do: As an Art intern, you would be assisting the art assistant, designers, and photo editor with photo research, photo shoots, and administrative tasks such as organizing tear sheets and archive management for both Texas Monthly and texasmonthly.com.
Hours: 10 to 15 hours a week
Requirements: Strong design and organizational skills, flexibility, dependability, and self-motivation are required for assisting art personnel. Proficiency with Macintosh, InDesign, Photoshop, and WordPress are necessary. Knowledge of Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, and HTML are encouraged but not mandatory.
How to Apply
If you are interested in one of Texas Monthly’s journalism internships, please submit a résumé and a cover letter specifying the department(s) in which you would like to work to [email protected]. Put “Journalism Internship” in the subject line of the email. For the editorial internship, please include in your cover letter any topic areas you might have particular interest or experience in, such as social media, news, politics, food, investigative journalism, and so on.
Applications for the 2022 fall internships are due July 30, 2022.
Applications for the 2023 spring internships are due November 1, 2022.
Applications for the 2023 summer internships are due April 1, 2023.