If you need a refresher course on the basic courtesies of drivingboth in the city and on the highwayhere are ten tips that will keep you in the fast lane.
Login / Register
ORNo Account? Register here.
1. Repeat to yourself: The left lane is for passing. The right lane is for driving.
2. Just so you know, not everyone is a psychic like Miss Cleo. If you’re changing lanes or turning, use your signal.
3. To merge is to blend or come together without abrupt change. If you are on the freeway, how hard is it to ease your foot off the gas for a couple of seconds to let another car in? If you’re sitting on the on-ramp, do you really think you can get on the highway from a dead stop?
4. Red light, green light. Remember that fun game you played when you were a kid? The same rules still apply.
5. There are two kinds of tailgating: partying before a football game, which is good, and riding the bumper of the car in front of you, which is bad. Know the difference.
6. I know you didn’t cut in line at the premiere of The Lord of the Rings. So what makes you think it’s okay to wait until the last second to merge when you’ve passed a dozen signs that say lane closure up ahead?
7. On a two-lane highway, nothing is kinder than moving over to the paved shoulder to let that speeding car behind you pass. It may not be legal, but it sure is courteous.
8. Listen up, smokers and cell phone fanatics: No one expects “ten and two” but try to keep at least one hand on the wheel. You’re driving a car, not a bicycle.
9. The turn lane is for turning, not figuring out what shopping mall you want to go to.
10. Don’t underestimate the power of the wave. If someone is nice enough to let you in a lane, the least you can do is say thank you. You’ll make your mother proud.