BBQ News: 05/30 – 06/05
– If you’ve never been to Memphis in May and want to get a taste, check out Republic of Swine from Bitter Southerner. A taste: “First timers British Bulldog BBQ of Surrey, England are…the “best of the best” from the British Barbecue Society — which sounds about as formidable as being the top-rated hockey player in Louisiana.”
– Of you have a barbecue sauce to enter into this year’s Gettin’ Sauced event in Austin, here’s the entry form.
– On the science of barbecue cooking:
— PBS Digital Studios (@PBSDS) June 3, 2014
– Fed Man Walking also found 12 briskets he likes in Austin.
– The Smoking Ho tries Lone Star BBQ on South Lamar in Austin.
– Austin Monthly includes a Top 10 BBQ joint list in this month’s Newcomer’s Guide.
– A trailer for an Australian film on Texas BBQ:
– The hog farm where PEDv in the U.S. originated was identified in Ohio. The disease is still causing high pork prices.
– A security camera caught some vandals at La Barbecue in Austin:
– The La Barbecue vandalism story made the local Austin news.
– The news of La Barbecue’s vandals made it all the way to Houston:
— Terry Alexander (@Alexander_Bites) June 2, 2014
– Wayne’s Smoke Shack in Superior, Colorado has been serving up Texas style barbecue since August.
– A Q&A with Myron Mixon on smokers, side dishes, and whole hog.
– Mixon also has some theories on why the barbecue on the East and West coasts is getting better lately.
– Brooklyn’s best barbecue joints from Brooklyn Magazine.
– Brooklyn is about to get the whole hog cooking of Tyson Ho who plans to open a barbecue joint there this summer.
– Watch beef naval turn into a Katz’s pastrami sandwich, step-by-step.
– Maybe it’s better in California:
— Dickeys Barbecue Pit (@Dickeys) June 3, 2014
– Wooden Spoke BBQ in Magnolia (just northwest of Houston) has made a successful jump from competition barbecue to commercial barbecue.
– Robb Walsh finds that at Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland “nearly everything is amazing.”
– Freedmen’s Bar has added some new items to their menu, including meat by the pound.
– In advance of the X Games being held in Austin, ESPN provides their insider’s guide to the city with recommendations for visiting the Salt Lick and Franklin Barbecue.
– A day in the life of Franklin Barbecue:
– A day in the life of Austin-based barbecue photographer Robert Lerma.
– “Father-son celebrity pitmasters Marshall and Mark Cooper will join Chef Dean Fearing on June 15 to present the ultimate in Father’s Day brunches” at Fearing’s in Dallas.
– You can also get your Fathers Day Texas BBQ in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Boston.
– Or just smoke your own with one of these seven epic barbecue entrees from Thrillist.
– Percy Street BBQ in Philadelphia serves whole brisket dinners for $225:
Whole brisket dinners, so hot right now. Brisket. pic.twitter.com/zOOnSKrYJu
— Percy Street BBQ (@percystreet) June 2, 2014
– When is it right to call a gathering that involves outdoor cooking a “cookout” versus a “barbecue?”
– The Wall Street Journal says smoking, not grilling, is where it’s at this summer.
– If you’d like to hear me talk a little about my job, here’s my turn on the Josh Katzowitz podcast.
– Here’s a thirty minute documentary on last year’s barbecue themed Cook it Raw event in Charleston:
– Not Just Q in Dallas has a fan in former Dallas Cowboy Marcus Spears.
– Up Magazine has chosen their four favorite barbecue joints in Dallas.
– Texas Smoke BBQ Co. opens in Sanger, Texas.
– Hawaiian BBQ comes to San Antonio.
– The Granary’s Tim Rattray talks about what his San Antonio barbecue joint is all about.
– My SA says things are going well for the new Smoke Shack BBQ joint in San Antonio.
– A little Houston BBQ history from Pizzitola’s:
TBT-Keeping Davis legacy(1935-83)alive at Pizzitolas BBQ on Shepherd Dr. Proud to cook on Houston’s oldest open pits pic.twitter.com/YS0NTcsSrP
— Pizzitola’s BBQ (@PizzitolasBBQ) May 29, 2014
– Barbecued mealworms, anyone?
– Follow the Ultimate Grill & Smoker around the country during its summer tour.
– Barbecue is getting big in Los Angeles.
– Did we mention that brisket prices are up?
BLASPHEMERS! | beef prices apparently hit Texas BBQ menu margins. Where are open-carry folks when I really need em? pic.twitter.com/OrK3H5bkrq
— Ron Ruggless (@RonRuggless) June 4, 2014