Was Wendy Davis smart to embrace open carry? I think not. In the end, a lot more of her core constituency will be disappointed than will be elated. And I don’t see that she has much to gain. Greg Abbott long ago wrapped up the support of the gun toting crowd (I seem to recall a certain cover of a certain magazine with a certain shotgun) and there is no way Davis can compete for it. This isn’t a huge misstep, but it does reinforce the narrative of a campaign and a candidacy that doesn’t know what it is doing.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- The Hero Myth of Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo
- The Houston Years of George Floyd
- In Amarillo, a Mexican Restaurant Named “Big Beaners” Provokes Controversy
- “I Can’t Believe This Is America”: On the Front Lines With the Volunteers Tending to Austin’s Injured Protesters
- A New Texas COVID-19 Tracker Offers a Ton of Useful Information
- A Q&A With the Organizer of the Black Lives Matter March in Vidor
- BBQ News Roundup: Supporting Black Pitmasters and Mourning Louisville’s David McAtee
- Remembering Bobby Morrow, the Texas Sprinter Who Was Once the World’s Fastest Man
- The Best and the Bums: Streets of Rage
- Hollywood, Texas: Beyoncé, Jamie Foxx, and Lizzo Lend Their Voices to National Protests