Pipe Creek is barely a hamlet — perched at the crossroads of Hwy. 16 and Hwy. 1283 about an hour northwest of downtown between Helotes and Bandera. But even though we’re creeping out of the borderlands in to the hill country, the barbacoa at Las Mañanitas is made in the kitchen; the tortillas are handmade; the puffy tacos fill a platter that begs to be shared. The place itself is pretty basic, albeit bright — and the moldy old booths on the patio definitely should be avoided. But, don’t let the looks keep you away. Friendly service, decent coffee.
- Hollywood, Texas: Kanye West Takes Joel Osteen to Church
- A Farewell to Dairy Queens
- Inside the Death Row Case That Has Everyone From Ted Cruz to Kim Kardashian Speaking Out
- The Suncoast Motion Picture Company’s Last Stand Is Happening in Southeast Texas
- Convicted of Murder at Age 12, Edwin Debrow Finally Walks Free