A few words about the game’s other players.
They’ve Got It Covered
Five songs played by marching bands this year:
• “Livin’ La Vida Loca”
• “Theme from Wild Wild West”
• “American Woman”
• “Jump Jive An’ Wail”
He’s With the Band
In 24 years as the band director at 2A Canadian, Fred Pankratz has mounted halftime tributes to Star Wars, The Wizard of Oz (the entire flag corps was outfitted as Dorothy, their costumes courtesy of a student who sewed them for a 4H project), and “Home on the Range,” in which the formations were based on the brands of area ranches.
Show Them the Money
• King marching tuba with 22-inch detachable bell front: $5,230
• 100 cadet-style shako hats: $1,950
• 100 eight-inch stick-up plumes: $1,095
• 100 short coats with sequined baldrics: $9,690
• Travel expenses for a 3A band to attend a marching contest in California: $35,000
Our Favorite Fight Songs
“Winter Wonderland,” a surefire way to rally fans of 2A Winters.
“Jalisco,” the Mexican polka, favored by 3A Falfurrias.
No Rest for the Weary
Last year at 3A Denver City, eight football players—with the coach’s blessing—dropped their pads after the second quarter and picked up their tubas and drums for the halftime show.