BBQ News: 07/11 – 07/17
– Texas BBQ Week is still going strong for a few more days.
– Looking for golf and barbecue together?
— Sean F Hosley (@sketchwerk) July 10, 2014
– KCBS is planning to donate 100,000 barbecue meals over the next year in their 100KCBS Meals Mission.
– Michael Black of Terry Black’s BBQ in Austin has some feelings about Black’s BBQ opening in Austin.
– A few tips for smoking a great brisket compiled by Steven Raichlen.
– More tips on smoking a brisket.
– John Mueller responds to a few recent Austin BBQ lists:
I guaranty that’s the last time you will ever see me in the middle of anyone’s poll….
— John Mueller Meat (@JSM_meat) July 16, 2014
– Yahoo puts together their list of the ten best barbecue joints in the country, and Texas takes three spots.
– OpenTable users rated the thirty best barbecue joints (that have a reservation system) in the country. Four are from Texas.
– Thrillist uses a panel of folks in the food industry to vote on the best barbecue joints in Austin.
– Austin is getting another barbecue food truck.
– A brisket slicer in the making:
Florida QB Jeff Driskel had a job this summer that would have caused me to swell to 400 pounds. http://t.co/xxwnYI4N0s
— Andy Staples (@Andy_Staples) July 15, 2014
– Ray’s BBQ Shack is profiled by the Houston Chronicle.
– Texas Highways Magazine calls Stanley’s Famous Pit BBQ in Tyler “a true Texas success story.”
– Daniel Brown of Brown’s Bar-B-Que in Austin is profiled by Eater.
This one is a several months old, but I just found it and it’s too good not to share. A blogger had a bad experience at Bartley’s in Grapevine, and then accuses them of bribery.
— BRobinson (@rtechnologies) July 14, 2014
– John Lewis of Austin’s La Barbecue took some smoked beef to Charleston to introduce South Carolina to real Texas barbecue. They called it the SC-TX Invitational.
– The Charleston Post & Courier provided some advice for the SC pork eaters on how best to enjoy smoked beef.
– Here’s a slideshow from the SC-TX BBQ invitational.
– Texas-style BBQ in Manhattan:
— High Line (@highlinenyc) July 11, 2014
– Even Vogue is talking about barbecue in this article about smoked meat in New York. They highlight a few joints with plenty of Texas flavor.
– Marley’s Central Texas BBQ in Albuquerque is reviewed.
– A Texas-style barbecue joint opens in Australia.
– “German Sausage Makers Fined for Price-Fixing” by the German Federal Cartel Authority.
– J.C. Reid of the Houston Chronicle explores Chinese barbecue.
– I scream, you scream, we all scream for Meat Fruit.
– A solid guide to American barbecue:
— Eater National (@Eater) July 11, 2014
– Fed Man Walking reviews Scotty’s BBQ in Austin.
– The Austinot found plenty to like at La Barbecue.
– Smoking Ho profiles Evan LeRoy of Freedmen’s Bar in Austin.
– The #81 favorite dish of the Dallas Observer is the Toddfather sandwich at Cattleack Barbecue.
– Seven great barbecue food trucks in America.
– President Obama went to Franklin Barbecue in Austin…
– …and he cut the line at Franklin…
– …and some people were unhappy about it.
– Butter and barbecue drippings? Yes, please:
— Chefs Feed (@chefsfeed) July 10, 2014