The news from George P. Bush that his father will likely enter the Republican presidential race is intriguing. This is not the first time that the elder Bush brother has indicated an interest in running in 2016. I’m pretty skeptical about his prospects.One unsettled issue is whether the Bush name still carries weight nationally after the disastrous W. presidency. Still, there is a lot of establishment money out there for mainstream Republicans, and Karl Rove is going to have something to say about this election at some point. Texas is a tea party state, and I don’t see how Jeb can get past Ted Cruz. But the combined electoral votes of Texas and Florida are formidable, and the Bush family’s ability to appeal to Latinos could make up a lot of ground. The tea party has the energy, but the establishment has the money.
- Meet the Unruly Clan That Once Ruled the Hill Country
- Damn, It Feels Good to Be a Councilman
- Put Texas and Texas A&M in the Academy Sports and Outdoors Texas Bowl, You Cowards
- The Only Texas Chili Recipe You’ll Ever Need
- Who Gets to Live and Die When the State Relies on False Testimony in Death Penalty Cases?