Earlier today, a message appeared in the comment thread for “Abbott vs. the DOJ” under the heading, “Senator John Carona says,” offering blunt words of advice to Attorney General Abbott about his handling of the redistricting case(s). I called Sen. Carona’s Capitol office to ascertain if the author of the comment was indeed Sen. Carona. His office confirmed that Carona was the author. Here is the comment: State Senator John Carona says: Attorney General Abbott would do the state and its Republican legislators a big favor by toning down the DOJ rhetoric and dealing effectively with the legal matters before him. No one is benefited (or fooled) at this stage by antagonizing those from whom the state’s Republican majority seek a fair and prompt ruling. This is not the time for the AG’s office to be seeking political cover.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- The Texas Lege Always Debates Abortion. This Year It Will Do So With More Vigor. By Andrea Zelinski
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- After Standing Up to Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, Congressman Chip Roy Faces an Uncertain Future in the Texas GOP By Jonathan Tilove
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe