The Senate postponed its rules debate until next week over two issues: setting a special order for Voter ID and Kirk Watson’s proposal to require a 5- day layout of the conference committee report on the budget. Apparently, the Senate sees the wisdom of actually knowing what is in the budget before voting upon it, but sibling rivalry raised its head: would the House have an advantage if it only has to layout the report for two days? On Voter ID, the Democrats are acknowledging they have lost the issue, but hope to negotiate some voter protections before moving forward.
Sign up for the Armadillo
Weekly dispatches from the middle of the road of Texas politics.
- ‘How Can They Expect Peace When They Won’t Give Us Peace’: A Weekend of Demonstrations in Dallas Over Police Killings
- Priya Krishna’s Quarantine Journal, Entry No. 14: Savoring Time With the Parents
- The Houston Years of George Floyd
- Texas Monthly Recommends: Making a Backyard Water Park
- At Zoli’s, Smoked Brisket Lasagna Is a Revelation