I missed this story from the New York Times over the weekend. The 30-paper Freedom Communications company, whose lead paper is the Orange County Register, is filing for a Chapter 11 reorganization. The Texas papers affected include: –Brownsville Herald –Mid-Valley Town Crier (Weslaco) –Valley Morning Star (Harlingen) –McAllen Monitor –Odessa American A familiar name has been at the helm of the Freedom chain: Burl Osborne, former editor of the Dallas Morning News. Even in their good years, the Texas papers in the company never rose much above mediocrity, but it is still sad to see them facing an uncertain fate.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- The Texas Legislature Made It Just Three Days Without a COVID-19 Scare By Andrea Zelinski
- Who Were the Texans Who Traveled to the Capitol to Challenge the Election Results? By Sierra Juarez and Peter Holley
- Amid a Spate of Late-Term Trump Pardons, Reality Winner’s Name Remains Conspicuously Absent By Leif Reigstad
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe