The next action in the speakers race will shift to the home front. Members who support Straus will find themselves getting plenty of attention during the holidays from precinct chairs and other activists in their districts. (This is not speculation. I heard it from as well connected a source as there is in the Capitol.) There is still more than a month to go before the Legislature convenes on January 11. The opposition is organized and waiting. This is probably their last real chance to chip away at Straus’s list of supporters, although there will be conversations and potential deal-making all the way to the day of the vote. Straus definitely has the advantage, but overconfidence would be fatal.
- Hollywood, Texas: Kanye West Takes Joel Osteen to Church
- A Farewell to Dairy Queens
- Inside the Death Row Case That Has Everyone From Ted Cruz to Kim Kardashian Speaking Out
- Convicted of Murder at Age 12, Edwin Debrow Finally Walks Free
- The Suncoast Motion Picture Company’s Last Stand Is Happening in Southeast Texas