The outcome of redistricting for Nueces County — which is trending red — is that Calendars chair Todd Hunter has a strong Republican district, and the remaining two reps, Connie Scott and Raul Torres, are paired. They will face each other in the 2012 Republican primary. I think Scott wins this race. She is from the Calallen area, which is strong Republican, while Torres comes from a more mixed area of the city. But the ultimate result, my Nueces County sources say, is likely to be that a Democrat wins the new district in November.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Can Chip Roy Hold Off the Democratic Shift in Suburban San Antonio and Austin? By Dan Solomon
- Who Is Austin’s Citizen Police Academy Meant to Serve? By Leif Reigstad
- Democrats Narrowly Lost the Twenty-fourth Congressional District in 2018. Can Candace Valenzuela Win It in This Cycle? By Dan Solomon
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe