Did your antennae go up when Sylvester Turner filed for Speaker? Mine did. There’s no way for Sylvester to win. Republicans can’t vote for a Democrat for speaker. The best Turner can hope for is to hold the Craddick Ds (who may not be as solid as they were before the blowups) and to add some of the WD-40s and some of the more independent Ds like Strama. Let’s say he can get to 25-30 supporters. That gives him a chance to be kingmaker, but not king–and we know who he’ll be kingmaker for. More likely, this is not a play for speaker at all. It is a play to protect the Craddick Ds from a primary challenge. Turner’s candidacy gives the Craddick Ds the opportunity to pledge to a Democrat. This removes the main argument that can be used against the Craddick Ds in the primary. Then, safely reelected, they can deliver their votes to Craddick in January 09.
News & Politics
Our latest stories and analysis, sent to your inbox each week.
- Record Turnout Helped Texas Republicans, So Why Are They Still Pushing to Make It Harder to Vote? By Mike Snyder
- How Austin Cut One Third of Its Spending on the Police Department By Leif Reigstad
- What Does MAGA Look Like After Trump? This Weekend’s Protests Offer Clues. By Christopher Hooks
- Rita Clements, The Power Behind a Governor, Dies at 86 By R.G. Ratcliffe
- U.S. Immigration Director Threatens to Jail Elected Officials in Sanctuary Cities By R.G. Ratcliffe