The beloved scruffy building that housed downtown Austin’s Las Manitas Mexican restaurant is gone–razed Monday by the property owner. Ironically, plans are on hold for constructing a giant Marriott Hotel on the site. Of course, the demolition changes nothing. Las Manitas was doomed anyway and the building’s removal was only a matter of time. But symbolically, for the property owner Tim Finley to proceed right before Christmas, is just another example of the finger-in-the-eye-of-Austin attitude of this whole sorry mess. Read a short but good report at KXAN.com.
Food & Drink Newsletter
Eat and imbibe like a Texan with reviews, recipes, news, and more.
- How the Pandemic Turned Brené Brown Into America’s Therapist
- How King Ranch Casserole Has Ruled During the Pandemic
- The West Texas Basketball Tournament at the Center of a Coronavirus Outbreak
- Aaron Franklin Will Be the Next Texan to Join the Barbecue Hall of Fame
- At Zoli’s, Smoked Brisket Lasagna Is a Revelation