Update, 4:25pm: Washington police have confirmed to the AP that the shooter was 34-year-old Fort Worth native Aaron Alexis. Alexis was arrested in Tarrant County in 2010 for allegedly firing a weapon in his apartment complex, but never charged or convicted of a crime. Alexis was killed by authorities. There’s no update on reports that a second shooter was present at the moment.
There was a shooting with multiple fatalities at the Washington Navy Yard in Washington, D.C. this morning. The Associated Press reports that several people were killed, and as many as 10 others—including law enforcement officials—have been wounded. According to early reports from the Washington Post, two shooters may have been involved.
There’s not much information available yet about the injured and killed. At the moment, the shooter is being described as “contained,” but not in custody, and a civilian employee who was inside the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters at the time of the shooting told the AP that the shooter was on a fourth floor overlook, firing down at people in the first-floor cafeteria. Schools in the area went into lockdown and flights out of Reagan National Airport were grounded.
This, of course, isn’t the first time in recent years that a shooter has struck at a domestic U.S. military location—that distinction is held by Fort Hood, where Major Nadal Hasan, who was convicted of murder and sentenced to death last month, killed 13 and left dozens injured. A bill sponsored by U.S. Senators John Cornyn and Ted Cruz that was introduced last week, seeking that Hasan’s shooting “be categorized as an act of terrorism,” which would allow for the families of the victims to receive additional benefits, looked to be gathering support in both its House and Senate forms. (Currently, Hasan’s rampage is classified as an act of workplace violence.) It’s likely that the news out of D.C. today won’t mean anything for that bill but increased support.
A U.S. Park Police helicopter removes a man in a basket from the Washington Navy Yard Monday. Earlier in the day, the U.S. Navy said it was searching for an active shooter at the Naval Sea Systems Command headquarters, where about 3,000 people work. (AP Photo | Jacquelyn Martin)