Ernesto Garcia
Illustration by Melody Newcomb

A Hit-and-Run Killed an Immigrant Father of Five in Austin

He worked 80-hour weeks to send money home to his family. The driver who ran him over had been in and out of trouble for years.

Este artículo ha sido traducido al español. Por favor ver más abajo.

Ernesto Garcia probably never knew what hit him. It was just before 8 a.m. on August 1 and he was walking toward his bus stop on Ben White Boulevard in south Austin, on his way to a job as a cook at a restaurant called The Park. The Guatemalan immigrant cooked at two other places, too, and was due to head to the Moonshine Grill later that afternoon. His shift at Popeye’s began the next morning. Garcia, who was 40, had for almost eight years been sending money from his jobs home to his common-law wife and their five kids in Guatemala. Two of the kids had birthdays coming up, and the tuition for his eldest daughter’s school was due soon.

Ben White is a busy road. Cars zip past the bus stop, just a few feet away, but they generally stay on the street. As Garcia neared the stop’s awning and bench, he didn’t know that a white GMC Sierra truck was barreling down the sidewalk behind him—5,000 pounds of steel and glass moving at what one witness would later call “a high rate of speed.” Garcia might have heard it, and maybe he turned in that instant to see a flash of white. The whole thing happened so fast.

The truck had, moments before, been in the right-turn-only lane just across the intersection at South First Street, idling next to a city bus that was heading straight, toward the bus stop. But the driver had decided to go straight as well, and when the light changed, he sped up and tried to pass on the right. Unfortunately, he couldn’t make it, and instead of slowing down and going around the bus on the left, he jumped the curb and careered down the sidewalk.

Was he drunk? Was he on the phone? Was he angry that the bus driver wouldn’t let him by? Had he simply lost control?

Did he not see Ernesto Garcia standing in broad daylight on the sidewalk in front of him?

The driver slammed into Garcia and mowed him down, then destroyed a sign and a garbage can before coming to a stop about fifty feet away, in a driveway that led into a medical clinic. Horrified passengers on the bus, which had stopped, watched as the driver got out of his truck and walked back and approached Garcia, who was now surrounded by passersby and a couple of medical professionals from the clinic. The driver, wearing khaki pants and a dark shirt, reached down and touched Garcia. Then he raised back up, turned around, and walked back to his truck. Unbelievably, he got in and sped off.

Despite doctors’ attempts, Garcia, who had massive head trauma, died at the scene. The next day police arrested the driver, Darrell Smitty, at Dell Seton Hospital, where he had gone at some point after the accident—he had spent most of the previous week there, suffering from double pneumonia. He’d been readmitted, and at that time had both opiates and alcohol in his bloodstream. Police arrested him for failure to stop and render aid, and a few days later also charged him with manslaughter. He didn’t have an active driver’s license, though this wasn’t the first time Smitty was caught driving without one. His rap sheet included several DWIs as well as assaults on wives and a girlfriend.

The two men involved in the accident couldn’t have been more different. One lived in the shadows, an undocumented immigrant who worked constantly to support his family; the other, a middle-aged citizen, lived in the open, but led a troubled life. Though the two had probably never met before this horrible tragedy, they were each vital members of the south Austin community in which it took place. For years, south Austin has been a scruffy and laid-back area, a cheap and funky place where hippies and rednecks, slackers and working-class heroes lived on the same blocks, worked on cars in the front yards of their cozy bungalows, and drank cheap beer at bars like the Horseshoe Lounge. This was the south Austin of Darrell Shane Smitty, who cruised these streets his whole life.

But for the past decade, south Austin has also been one of the fastest gentrifying areas in the city, a place where those cozy bungalows are now selling for many hundreds of thousands of dollars. South Congress Avenue, where hookers and slackers once walked, has re-branded itself as SoCo and is jam-packed with tourists cruising the bustling restaurants and staying in the expensive boutique hotels. This was the south Austin of Ernesto Gonzales Garcia, who worked in the kitchens of these very restaurants.

For all their surface differences, Garcia and Smitty were even more divergent under their skins, especially in one crucial aspect. Garcia, the foreigner, couldn’t have been more responsible if he tried. Smitty, the American, couldn’t have been less so, though now he will have to answer for the biggest mistake of his life.

Ernesto Garcia
Ernesto Garcia was hit and killed by the driver of a pickup truck on Wednesday, August 1 in south Austin. // Ernesto García perdió la vida al ser atropellado por el conductor de una camioneta el miércoles 1 de agosto en el sur de Austin. Courtesy of The Garcia family
Garcia’s family—a wife, four daughters, and a son—live in Guatemala.
Garcia’s family—a wife, four daughters, and a son—live in Guatemala. // La familia de García—su esposa, cuatro hijas y un hijo—vive en Guatemala. Courtesy of the Garcia family
Left: Ernesto Garcia was hit and killed by the driver of a pickup truck on Wednesday, August 1 in south Austin. // Ernesto García perdió la vida al ser atropellado por el conductor de una camioneta el miércoles 1 de agosto en el sur de Austin. Courtesy of The Garcia family
Top: Garcia’s family—a wife, four daughters, and a son—live in Guatemala. // La familia de García—su esposa, cuatro hijas y un hijo—vive en Guatemala. Courtesy of the Garcia family

Most immigrants don’t come to the U.S. looking for trouble. Like Garcia, they come to improve their lives—and those of their families. Garcia crossed into the U.S. in 2010 without documents, seeking a way to support his family back in Santo Domingo Suchitepéquez, a small city in southern Guatemala. He found his way to Austin and eventually to a series of apartment complexes where other Guatemalans lived. Garcia was unskilled but desperate to work and found employment as a dishwasher in various restaurants in Austin’s booming economy. He was short and strong, with a handsome, determined face and a quiet, diligent disposition. He wired all his spare money home to his wife and children, four girls and one boy.

A few years after arriving, he met a man named Jose Sanchez, who was also from Guatemala. The two became friends, and when Sanchez’s girlfriend Miriam arrived two years later and the couple decided to find a home, they invited Garcia to live with them. Tired of living in apartments, Garcia welcomed the opportunity. They found a house in a working-class suburb in south Austin off William Cannon Drive. None of the Guatemalans had green cards, so all worked in the shadow economy—Sanchez roofing houses, Garcia washing dishes. He cleaned the plates of some of Austin’s most popular restaurants, including the SoCo Tex-Mex spot Guero’s and the south Austin Indian food joint Whip-In.

Garcia didn’t do things that would risk alerting his presence to authorities, like getting a driver’s license. He either took the bus or walked, getting to know the streets of south Austin. And almost every day he called home to talk to his family, using prepaid phone cards. When the cards ran out, he got more. Every two weeks he would wire money home.

In May 2017 he was hired at Moonshine, a popular downtown “classic American comfort food” restaurant near the convention center. He was befriended by Ivan Arellano, his manager, who liked how diligent and respectful Garcia was. Arellano, who himself had started as a dishwasher, began pushing Garcia to move up to cook. “You need to grow, Neto,” Arellano would say, calling him by his nickname. “I’ll teach you.” Garcia would respond that he didn’t have time and that he didn’t speak English. “There’s no English spoken here,” Arellano would laugh, “It’s all Latinos!”

Finally, about five months ago, Garcia agreed to try, and began training as a fry cook. He was good at it, said his boss. “He paid attention and became one of the best on the line.” The man from Guatemala liked making American comfort food, and he liked making more money. Garcia never talked about politics—he didn’t worry about the immigration policies of the current administration or getting deported. He figured as long as he stayed out of trouble, he could continue to take care of his family.

His entire life revolved around his jobs. Garcia worked an astounding eighty hours a week: forty at Moonshine and another forty between a Popeye’s on Ben White and The Park, where he was so beloved that the other young men in the kitchen called him tío, or uncle. “He was smiling all the time,” said kitchen manager Juan Cruz Luna. “You felt good around him.” Friends would invite Garcia to play soccer (he put the logo from his favorite team, C.D. Suchitepéquez, on his Facebook page), but he would beg off, saying he had to rest up for work the next day. When Garcia would talk about his family to Arellano, his friend would ask why he didn’t return home—didn’t he miss them? “I’m working for my kids,” Garcia would respond. But Garcia was considering making a big change. In mid-July, he told Arellano that he was thinking about returning home for good sometime in December, when his eldest daughter finished school. He just needed to earn some more money.

On the night before he died, Garcia called his family as he always did. The Sanchezes said that Garcia seemed to be in a particularly happy mood. One of his daughters had a birthday coming up in a few days, and his son had one the following week. “Don’t hold back,” he proudly told his kids. “I have money to get you what you want.”

While Garcia was a relatively recent arrival to south Austin, Smitty had lived there his entire life. He grew up in zip code 78704 and went to neighborhood schools Dawson Elementary and Crockett High, both less than a mile from the crash site. Smitty was a wild teen, smoking weed, drinking, and riding motorcycles. He was cute, funny, and extremely charming, with bright blue eyes. “He had that South Austin rowdy boy charm,” said Marcia Cannon, who met him at Austin High and later lived with him.

Smitty was handy and became a skilled carpenter, plumber, and electrician. But he also loved to drink. “He was a gifted craftsman,” said one friend. “When he was sober, he did amazing work.” By night he bartended, spending eight years at the landmark bar Steamboat on Sixth Street. Smitty was popular, jovial, and happy-go-lucky; everywhere he went he seemed to know someone, especially in wild and woolly south Austin. Others in his circle also drank and partied to excess, but Smitty began having more and more problems with alcohol, losing construction jobs because of no-shows. He got several DWIs, none of which brought him any prison time; his license would get taken away but he would continue to drive. He was married twice in the nineties, but both marriages ended after the women called the police reporting domestic violence. Smitty spent long periods of time couch surfing with friends, though in 2012 one of them—tired of the drinking—kicked him out and changed the locks.

The driver of the truck, Darrell Smitty.
The driver of the truck, Darrell Smitty. // El conductor de la camioneta, Darrell Smitty.Courtesy of APD

Most of his friends moved on from the party lifestyle: they had children, bought homes, established careers. Smitty didn’t, though he started Smitty Services, a jack-of-all-trades company for remodeling, electrical work, painting, cleaning gutters, and building decks and driveways.

In 2013 Smitty and Cannon, friends since high school, began dating—and then living together. But Cannon insisted that her boyfriend stop drinking. He agreed and went three times to treatment centers, where friends would sneak him vodka when Cannon wasn’t looking. In late 2016, not long after he walked out of the third facility, the couple had a fight and she called the police after he shoved her hard to the floor, breaking a couple of vertebrae and gashing her back. She took out a restraining order on him and eventually left town. Cannon thought that getting Smitty arrested would force him to sober up and start taking responsibility for his life.

And for a while it looked like he would. In early 2017 he began putting inspirational quotes about beating alcoholism on his Facebook page. “I REFUSE to go back to the old me,” said one. “I’m becoming a better person using my past experience as lessons.” He also began noting how many days it had been since he’d had a drink—50, 62, 73. Friends, who had seen him struggle for so many years, urged him on: “Go Smitty go!” “So proud of you!” He made it to day 78 on April 20, 2017, and then the updates stopped. Smitty didn’t post much on Facebook after that.

The last year and a half were rough. Smitty burned a lot of bridges with friends, who were tired of his drunken behavior. “He has a good heart,” said Andy Turner, “but he doesn’t make the wisest of choices. He messed a few people around.” Other friends say similar things. “Darrell isn’t a bad guy,” said one. “He’s a caring person and willing to give you the shirt off his back. But he’s also got some snakes in his head.” He ended his hospital stay at Dell Seton on July 31, the day before the accident, and was still wearing a hospital wristband, which was visible in a video at the crash site taken by a bus passenger and released to the public to try to identify the driver of the truck.

When Cannon saw the video, she called police. “That’s Darrell Smitty,” she said.

Garcia’s family in Guatemala was devastated by his death, as were his friends in Austin. “It’s really, really sad,” said Arellano. “It hurts me so bad, I can’t believe it. I can’t believe I won’t see him again.” When Luna heard, he began crying. “One part of our heart is gone,” he said. “He was part of my family.” Many of Garcia’s friends are here illegally, so they don’t want to draw attention to themselves.

But they do want to help Neto’s wife and children—who lost not only their husband and father but also the family’s main source of income. And so, the weekend after the accident, Arellano and some friends held a barbecue in front of Garcia’s house and sold plates of food to friends and others who heard about the tragedy, raising $1,500. Jose Sanchez enlarged a photo of Garcia and taped it onto a big plastic jar and walked through a south Austin flea market frequented by Latinos, raising another $360. One of the biggest burdens on the Garcia family will be getting his body (which is being stored at a local funeral parlor) back to Guatemala so his family can properly inter him in a mausoleum with his parents. It will take two to three weeks to complete that process, at a cost in excess of $10,000. So a friend helped set up a GoFundMe account. (Donations to pay for the body to be shipped can also be made directly to the Mission Funeral Home on East Cesar Chavez.) Any money left over in the fund will be given to the family.

Meanwhile, Smitty awaits trial for manslaughter. If convicted, he could get twenty years—or more, because his previous DWIs may mark him as a habitual criminal. Friends like Turner, who have stuck by Smitty for years, think the punishment will be severe. “Darrell chose to go down this path, so he gets what’s coming to him,” he said. Cannon agreed: “I love him dearly, but he’s always gotten out of everything. He’s never faced any consequences from anything in his life. It breaks my heart that this innocent man had to die for Darrell to finally face the consequences.”

Un conductor atropella y le quita la vida a un inmigrante, padre de 5 y se da a la fuga en Austin

Trabajaba 80 horas a la semana para enviar dinero a su familia en Guatemala. El conductor que lo atropelló tenía un pasado turbulento.

Es probable que Ernesto García no supo lo que le sucedió. El reloj marcaba casi las 8 de la mañana 1ero de Agosto. Ernesto caminaba hacia una parada de autobús de Ben White Boulevard en el sur de Austin para ir al restaurante the Park, uno de los tres lugares donde trabajaba como cocinero. El inmigrante Guatemalteco también trabajaba en Moonshine Grill, en donde su turno era en la tarde de aquel día. En el restaurante Popeyes, lo esperaban el día siguiente. Desde casi ocho años, García, de 40 años, enviaba dinero a su esposa y cinco hijos en Guatemala. Dos de los hijos cumplían años próximamente y se acercaba la fecha límite para pagar la matrícula de la escuela de la hija mayor.

Ben White es una vía muy transitada. Los carros pasan muy cerca de la parada de autobús a unos cuantos pies de la calle. García no se pudo haber imaginado que una camioneta blanca GMC Sierra se había subido al anden detrás de él  y se dirigía directamente hacia él: 5,000 libras de acero y vidrio se desplazaban a una “alta velocidad” según un testigo. A lo mejor García lo escucho y hasta depronto volteó la cabeza, muy seguramente solo para ver una luz blanca. Todo sucedió tan rápido.

Momentos antes, la camioneta había estado esperando el semáforo en rojo en el carril para dar vuelta a la derecha, del otro lado de la intersección con South First; a su lado izquierdo, en el carril para seguir derecho, un autobús esperaba a que la luz del semáforo cambiara a verde, para marcar la parada de autobus.

Estaba en estado de ebriedad? Estaba distraído por su teléfono? Estaba enojado que el conductor del autobús no lo haya dejado pasar? O simplemente perdió el control de su vehículo?

Acaso no vio a Ernesto parado en plena luz del día en el andén en frente de él?

El conductor atropelló a García y destruyó un letrero y un bote de basura antes de detenerse aproximadamente cincuenta pies más adelante, en la vía de entrada a una clínica. El autobús se detuvo y los pasajeros aterrorizados vieron el conductor de la camioneta salir de su vehículo y dirigirse hacia el cuerpo de García quien estaba rodeado de otras personas y miembros del cuerpo médico de la clínica.El conductor, vestido de pantalón color café y una camisa oscura, se agachó y tocó a García. Se levantó, se dió la vuelta hacia su camioneta. Increíblemente, se subió a su vehículo, cerró la puerta y se fué.

A pesar de los esfuerzos de los médicos, Ernesto sufrió un trauma en la cabeza y falleció en la escena. El día siguiente, la policía arrestó al conductor Darrell Smitty, en el hospital Dell Seton, donde había ido después de huir la escena en la cual Ernesto perdió la vida. Una semana antes, Smitty, había sido hospitalizado por una doble neumonía. Después del incidente, había sido reingresado al hospital y en ese momento tenía opioides y alcohol en su sangre. La policía lo arrestó por no detenerse y prestar ayuda y algunos día después fué sentenciado por homicidio involuntario. No tenía una licencia de conducir válida y no era la primera vez que Smitty había sido arrestado mientras conducía  sin una licencia vigente. Su récord también indica varios cargos por manejar bajo la influencia del alcohol y por asalto a sus parejas.

Los dos hombres involucrados en el incidente no podían ser más diferentes el uno del otro. Uno vivía discretamente, un inmigrante indocumentado quien trabajaba constantemente para mantener a su familia. El otro, un ciudadano que vivía abiertamente y que tenía una vida turbulenta. Aunque muy seguramente los dos no se conocían antes de esta tragedia, ambos eran miembros de la comunidad del sur de Austin. Por muchos años, el sur de Austin había sido una zona bohemia y tranquila,  un lugar barato y original donde los hippies y los rednecks,  holgazanes y  la clase trabajadora vivían en las mismas cuadras, arreglaban automóviles en los jardines de sus modestos bungalows y bebían cerveza barata en bares como el Horseshoe Lounge. Este era el sur de Austin de Darrell Shane Smitty, quien deambuló por estas calles toda su vida.

Pero durante la última década, el sur de Austin ha sido una de las zona que ha pasado de ser una zona popular a una zona acomodada, en donde los modestos bungalows se venden hoy por cientos de miles de dólares. South Congress, avenida por la cual prostitutas y holgazanes vagaban, se ha reconvertido en SoCo y abunda de turistas quienes circulan en los animados restaurantes y se alojan en los costosos hoteles boutique.

Si el contexto en el cual vivían García y Smitty no era lo suficientemente  diferente, sus caracteres y estilos de vida no podían ser más opuestos: García, el extranjero, era igual de responsable que Smitty, el Estadounidense, era irresponsable. Ahora Smitty deberá asumir el error más grande de su vida.


La mayoría de inmigrantes no vienen a los Estados Unidos buscando y provocando problemas. Al igual que Ernesto, vienen en busca de una mejor vida para ellos y sus familias. García llegó a Estados Unidos en el 2010, sin documentos, buscando oportunidades para mantener a su familia en Santo Domingo Suchitepéquez, una pequeña ciudad al sur de Guatemala. Llegó a Austin donde vivía en apartamentos con otros Guatemaltecos. Sin mucha experiencia, pero con un un gran deseo y motivación para trabajar , García encontró empleo lavando platos en varios restaurantes de Austin y su creciente economía. Ernesto era de estatura pequeña, con un rostro apuesto y determinado y un carácter tranquilo y persistente. Enviaba el dinero que ahorraba a su esposa e hijos: cuatro niñas y un niño.

Unos años después de haber llegado a Austin, conoció a otro Guatemalteco, José Sánchez. Se hicieron amigos y cuando la pareja de Sánchez, Miriam, llegó dos años después a Austin, decidieron buscar una casa e invitaron a García a vivir con ellos. Cansado de vivir en apartamentos, García aceptó la oportunidad. Encontraron una casa en un suburbio de clase trabajadora en la William Cannon Drive en el sur de Austin. Ninguno de los Guatemaltecos tenía documentos y todos trabajan en el sector informal – Sanchez techando casa, García lavando platos. Lavó platos en algunos de los restaurantes más reconocidos de Austin, incluyendo Tex-Mex Guero’s en South Congress y Whip-In.

Garcia procuraba no llamar la atención de las autoridades, y por esto nunca obtuvo una licencia de conducir. Se subía al autobús o caminaba, conociendo así las calles del sur de Austin. Casi todos los días llamaba a su familia en Guatemala con una tarjeta telefónica prepagada. Cuando se terminaban los minutos de las tarjetas, compraba más. Cada dos semanas enviaba dinero a Guatemala.

En Mayo del 2017, fué contratado en Moonshine, un lugar conocido de comida Estadounidense en el centro de la ciudad, cerca del centro de convenciones. Se hizo amigo de Iván Arellano, su jefe, quien apreciaba su espíritu trabajador y determinado. Arellano, quien también había empezado lavando platos motivaba a Ernesto a que ascendiera a cocinero “necesitas crecer, Neto” le decía Arellano,  llamándolo por su apodo. “Yo te enseño”, a lo que García contestaba que no tenía tiempo y que de todas maneras tampoco hablaba inglés. “Aquí no se habla inglés” contestaba Arellano riéndose “todos somo Latinos!”

Finalmente, después de 5 meses, García aceptó intentar y empezó a capacitarse como cocinero. “Era bueno”, dice su jefe. “Ponía atención y se convirtió en uno de los mejores en su trabajo.” El Guatemalteco disfrutaba cocinar comida de Estados Unidos, y le gustaba ganar más dinero también. García nunca hablaba de política ni tampoco le preocupaba la política migratoria del presente gobierno ni que lo deportaran. Pensaba que siempre y cuando no se metiera en problemas, podría seguir manteniendo a su familia.

Su vida giraba alrededor de sus trabajos. García trabaja ochenta horas por semana: cuarenta en moonshine y cuarenta entre Popeyes y The Park, en donde era tan apreciado que otros compañero de trabajo lo llamaban “tío”. “Siempre tenía una sonrisa” dice el jefe de cocina Juan Cruz Luna. “la gente se sentía bien en su compañía.” Los amigos de García lo  invitaban a jugar fútbol (en su foto de perfil en Facebook, tenía el escudo de su equipo favorito, C.D. Suchitepéquez), pero se negaba diciendo que tenía que trabajar al día siguiente. Cuando Ernesto hablaba de su familia con Arellano, su amigo le preguntaba porque no se regresaba a su casa en Guatemala; a caso no extrañaba a su familia? “Trabajo para mis hijos,” contestaba Ernesto. A mediados de julio, le dijo a Arellano que estaba considerando regresar definitivamente a Guatemala, cuando su hija mayor terminara la escuela. Necesitaba ahorrar un poco más de dinero.

La noche antes de morir, García llamó a su familia como tenía la costumbre. Los Sánchez dicen que Ernesto estaba particularmente feliz. Una de sus hijas cumplía años en los próximos días y su hijo la semana siguiente. “No se preocupen” le decía orgullosamente a sus hijos. “Tengo dinero para regalarles lo que quieran.”

Mientras García era un habitante relativamente nuevo de Austin, Smitty había vivido toda su vida aquí. Creció en el código postal 78704 y estudió en las escuelas Dawson Elementary y Crockett High, ambas a menos de una milla del lugar del incidente. Smitty era un adolescente rebelde, fumaba marihuana, bebía alcohol y montaba moto. De ojos azules, era guapo,  gracioso y muy simpático. “Era inquieto y desquiciado y eso hacía de él un chico carismático” explica Marcia Cannon, quien conoce a Smitty desde que estudiaban juntos en la escuela secundaria Austin High y más tarde vivió con él.

Smitty era hábil y se convirtió en un buen carpintero, plomero y electricista. Pero también le tenía aprecio al alcohol. “Era un buen artesano” dice un amigo. “Cuando estaba sobrio, hacia un muy buen trabajo.” De noche trabajaba de barman y estuvo durante ocho años en el famoso bar Steamboat en la Calle Seis. Smitty era popular, alegre y despreocupado; a todas partes donde iba, parecía conocer a alguien, especialmente en el sur de Austin. Otros en su círculo social bebían y les gustaba la fiesta en exceso, pero Smitty cada vez con más problemas con el alcohol, empezó a perder contratos por faltar al trabajo. Tuvo varias multas por conducir en estado de embriaguez, ninguno de las cuales lo llevó a pasar tiempo tras las rejas; y a pesar de la suspensión de su licencia de conducir, Smitty seguía conduciendo. Estuvo casado dos veces en los años noventa, pero ambos matrimonios terminaron después de que sus parejas llamaran a la policía reportando actos de violencia doméstica. Smitty pasó largos periodos viviendo en la casa de amigos, hasta que en el 2010 uno de ellos, cansado por el consumo de alcohol de Smitty, lo echara de su casa y cambiara los seguros.

La mayoría de sus amigos había dejado la fiesta: tenían hijos, habían comprado casa, y tenían trabajos estables. Aunque Smitty no haya dejado ese estilo de vida, creó una compañía llamada Smitty Services, enfocada en servicios de remodelación, electricidad, pintura, desagüe, y construcción de patios y entradas.

En el 2013, Smitty y Cannon, amigos desde la escuela secundaria, empezaron a tener una relación romántica y decidieron vivir juntos. Pero Cannon insistió que su pareja no beba más. Smitty aceptó y tres veces a la semana iba a centros de tratamiento, en donde sus amigos le daban vodka a escondidas cuando Cannon no estaba viendo. Hacia el final del 2016, poco tiempo después de que fuera al tercer centro, la pareja tuvo una discusión y Cannon llamó a la policía después de que Smitty la empujara hacia el piso, fracturandole un par de vértebras y se abriera la espalda.  Cannon obtuvo una orden de alejamiento y se mudó de Austin. Ella pensó que al hacer que arrestaran a Smitty, lo obligaría a dejar de beber y empezar a ser más responsable.

Y por un tiempo, parecía que si fué así. A principios del 2017, Smitty empezó a compartir en su perfil de Facebook frases de inspiración sobre el haber vencido el alcoholismo. “Me niego a ser lo que era antes,”decía una. “Soy una mejor persona gracias a mis experiencias y lecciones pasadas.”  Empezó a contar los días desde la última vez que había consumido alcohol – 50, 62, 73. Amigos que lo habían visto lidiar por tantos años lo apoyaban: “Si, Smitty, Si!” “Estoy muy orgulloso de tí!” Llegó al día 78 el 20 de abril del 2017 y no hubo más actualizaciones. Después de ese día, Smitty disminuyó su actividad en Facebook.

El último año y medio fué difícil. Smitty acabó con muchas relaciones con sus amigos, quienes estaban hartos de su comportamiento liado al alcohol. “Tiene un buen corazón,” dice Andy Turner, “pero no toma buenas decisiones. Ha perjudicado a muchas personas” Otros amigos dicen cosas similares. “Darrell no es una mala persona,”dice uno. “Es una persona bondadosa dispuesto a darte lo que tiene. Pero también es muy inestable.” Terminó su hospitalización en Dell Seton el 31 de julio, un día antes del incidente y todavía llevaba puedo la manilla del hospital, que se vé en un video capturado por un pasajero del autobus en el lugar donde pasó el incidente. El video fue publicado para tratar de identificar al conductor de la camioneta blanca.

Cuando Cannon vió el video, llamó a la policía. “Ese es Darrell Smitty,” dijo.

El fallecimiento de Ernesto afectó mucho a su familia en Guatemala, al igual que sus amigos en Austin. “Es muy muy triste” dice Arellano. “Me duele tanto, no lo puedo creer. No puedo creer  que no lo volveré a ver jamás.” Cuando Luna se enteró, lloró. “Una parte de nuestro corazón se fué,” dijo. “Era parte de mi familia.” Muchos de los amigos de Ernesto no tienen documento y no quieren llamar la atención.

Pero si quieren ayudar a la esposa de Neto y sus hijos, quienes no solo han perdido un esposo y un padre sino también la principal fuente de ingresos. Por eso, el fin de semana después del incidente, Arellano y algunos amigos organizaron una comida en frente de la casa donde vivía García en donde recolectaron $1,500 de amigos y personas que se enteraron de la tragedia. José Sánchez agrandó una foto de García que pegó en una jarra grande de plástico y se fué al mercado de las pulgas del sur de Austin, lugar frecuentado por la comunidad latina, donde recaudó otros $360. Uno de los cargos más pesados para la familia García será repatriar su cuerpo (que está en una funeraria en Austin) a Guatemala con el fin de que su familia pueda despedirse y poner su cuerpo a descansar junto al de sus padres. Este proceso durará aproximadamente dos a tres semanas, y tendrá  un costo de cerca de $10,000. Unos amigos ayudaron a establecer una cuenta para recaudar fondos en GoFundMe para ayudar a cubrir los gastos de repatriación del cuerpo de Ernesto. Cualquier dinero que sobre será enviado a los hijos en Guatemala.

Por mientras, Smitty espera ser juzgado por homicidio involuntario.  Su condena podría ser de veinte años o más en la cárcel, por su pasado turbulento con el sistema judiciario. Amigos como Turner que han estado junto a Smitty por todos estos años piensan que el castigo será estricto. “Darrell decidió tomar este camino, así que tendrá que responder por sus actos,” dice. Cannon está de acuerdo. “Lo estimo mucho, pero siempre se salió con las suyas. Nunca tuvo que asumir ninguna consecuencias de sus actos. Me duele en el alma que una persona inocente haya perdido la vida para que Darrell finalmente asuma las consecuencias.”

Hoy sábado 25 de agosto habrá una servicio en la funeraria Mission Funeral home de la César Chávez de 4-9 para que sus amigos en Austin también puedan despedirse de Ernesto una última vez.

Gracias a Céline Steer por su ayuda en esta traducción. 


Magazine Latest