For our November 2018 “Feast Around the World” feature, we asked five of the state’s top chefs to create festive meals to serve this season. What we got was a cornucopia of global flavors.
Steve McHugh, who opened Cured in San Antonio five years ago, created a feast built on memories from his days in Wisconsin and New Orleans but uses native ingredients for a true Texas twist. Below, find an unexpected accompaniment for roast duck from McHugh’s “Hunting and Gathering” feast.
Grapefruit and Chile Pequin Jelly
- ½ to 2 cups dried whole chile pequins, rehydrated (available packaged in produce section)
- 1 cup grapefruit juice
- ⅓ (1.75-ounce) cup pectin powder (about ⅓ cup)
- 5 cups sugar
- Put the chile pequins, grapefruit juice, and pectin powder in a large saucepan and bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the sugar and return to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove jelly from heat and skim off foam (texture will be semi-solid).
- Cool and pour into 1 or more bowls. Serve alongside duck.