Yes, we get paid to eat brisket.
We've got your next road trip pitstops covered.
A spicy addition to the sausage-making tradition.
An unlikely duo of barbecue restaurants will have you making two pit stops.
– We love this slo-mo brisket drop: Here’s a totally unoriginal, slow-mo video of a brisket jiggling. It was too good not to post?. #txbbq #lubbock #wolfforth #texasbbq #bbq #brisket #cincodemayo
Aaron Franklin’s Hot Luck festival will debut in Austin in a couple weeks. Despite Franklin’s involvement, this isn’t strictly a barbecue festival, but smoked meat fans needn’t worry. There are still plenty of talented pitmasters coming to Austin for the highly anticipated food festival.The Hi Lo and Al Fuego,
An extra-large serving of golden-brown goodness.
– Charlie’s BBQ in Houston was a total loss in an early morning fire: AERIAL VIEWS: Fire at Charlie’s BBQ in N. Harris County https://t.co/n5nHonACdx #KHOU #HouNews pic.twitter.com/c1wHqFuAZ8 — KHOU 11 News Houston (@KHOU) May 4, 2017 – New candy bar to
Waco's weekend brisket and slaw fix.
Bringing short ribs to the steakhouse scene.
– George H W Bush has good taste when ordering barbecue during his recent hospital stay. He called Houston’s Roegels Barbecue Co.– The Houston Chronicle examined the origins of the offset brick smoker in Texas.– Houstonia Mag loved the tacos served on brisket fat tortillas at The
A flavorful favorite.
Just when you think John Mueller might be out of the barbecue game for good, he pops up somewhere hitched to a new trailer. And the pitmaster made a big announcement last Saturday on the “Great Outdoors” show on 1300 AM in Austin: His new Black Box Barbecue food truck will
Barbecue in the Texas Panhandle has struggled for a foothold in statewide prominence, and that’s not entirely because of its far-flung locale. The area is a relative newcomer to Texas barbecue history. Amarillo’s founding in 1897, after all, was a year after Southside Market opened in Elgin. The oldest barbecue
– A Confederacy of mustard-lovers: The politics of barbecue and the legacy of a white supremacist: https://t.co/bB73DusgRh pic.twitter.com/T3zY3e7UyH — The New Yorker (@NewYorker) April 17, 2017 – The Dallas Observer highlights some of the area’s newest barbecue trailers.– Houstonia takes you on a visual
House Bill 2029 is officially titled Weights and Scales in Restaurants, but a spokesman for the office of Representative J.M. Lozano, who filed the bill, has a more succinct moniker: the barbecue bill.The bill, which will go before the House on Tuesday, looks at the Texas Department of Agriculture’s scale inspections
– The Houston Chronicle featured all the pitmasters of the Houston BBQ Festival in these mini profiles.– Scenes from the Houston BBQ Festival: Sights and bites from 2017 #HouBBQ Festival. We had a wonderful time – https://t.co/UC8aBlYuKS @BloodBrosBBQ @LouieMuellerBBQ pic.twitter.com/MBta2RwByN —
You may have noticed the yammering of a South Carolinian about the “tyranny” of Texas barbecue in a recent article on First We Feast. The author, Robert Moss, is the barbecue editor for Southern Living. An esteemed position, for sure, but it’s curious that the magazine chose to poll
– Somebody’s mad at Texas barbecue: Eating good barbecue doesn’t mean it can’t have sauce. A ‘cue historian talks these rules, and how to break them: https://t.co/EfqEgXavvF pic.twitter.com/qSMlxpYZ2m — First We Feast (@firstwefeast) April 5, 2017 – The Houston BBQ Festival is this Sunday,
Texas BBQ with a Cajun Twist.
Western Premium BBQ Products of Pleasanton.
– For Matthew Odam, the new Kemuri-Tatsuya in Austin is an “izakaya smokehouse that blurs the lines between Japan and Texas.”– There is now a new flavor of Payday candy bars with the “flavor of Texas BBQ.”– Beef ribs are having a moment: “Big, bold,
In Luling, Wayne Baker grew up on the basics of barbecue. Brisket, ribs, and beef sausage came wrapped up in butcher paper at City Market, the favored barbecue joint of his youth. “I didn’t really know a barbecue plate existed,” he told me at his barbecue joint, Baker Boys BBQ in Gonzales.
– Gotta try those juicy links in Port Arthur: I can’t get enough of the wonderful, wacky world of Port Arthur barbecue. #setxbbq https://t.co/aP3McpG2Fu — J.C. Reid (@jcreidtx) March 11, 2017 – The Fort Worth Food & Wine Festival will host Black’s BBQ and Kreuz
Because BBQ shouldn't taste like an ashtray.
A version of this article was first published in SXSWorld Magazine. The film debuted last week at SXSW.The whole of America is in the midst of full-on barbecue worship. Of late that fascination has spread across the globe, and the new stuff looks a whole lot like Texas barbecue. All
A Denison newspaper described Al Hall as “a magnificent specimen of physical manhood.” When a local alderman pistol-whipped him during an argument at Hall’s barbecue joint in 1891, Hall retaliated with two swift punches to the face, sending the alderman home in a carriage. “Blood flowed quite freely,” noted The
– Brisket and pickle pizza alert: Brisket pizza dreams https://t.co/SefzsYeiRm — Eater Austin (@EaterAustin) March 7, 2017 – The BBQ Recon team headed out to the Brotherton/LeRoy pop-up in Pflugerville and filed a report.– Stiles Switch in Austin is hosting 39 bands in 4 days
In the 1800s, smokehouses and BBQ pits popped up all over Texas, giving rise to the commercial barbecue industry.
– A tasty dose of home-schooling, Central Texas style: BBQ Thursday Road Trip: Taylor and Austin #bbq #texas https://t.co/6DSOvmjnjQ — Kelly Yandell (@KellyYandell) February 19, 2017 – Alison Cook declares in the Houston Chronicle, that the addition of Pinkerton’s Barbecue means “Houston’s barbecue
From the view on either side of the highway, Notrees—the town between Kermit and Odessa—seems to have been born of the simplest observation. Not much out here grows any higher than cotton. Heading further north, they don’t even have the luxury of scrubby mesquite. So if you’re going to cook barbecue
Texas ’cue with a global twist.
– Houston BBQ joint owner involved in high speed chase: – J C Reid makes the case for Houston as a hotbed for barbecue “startups” with Pappas Charlie’s as a shining example.– Houston Food Finder searched the city for spots that are making their own sausage, and have provided
In 1891, the S.S. Utopia departed Italy, headed for America. The ship, carrying 880 passengers, many of them Italian immigrants who boarded the Utopia in Naples or Palermo, was sailing through the port of Gibraltar when it struck another vessel. The hole created by the collision sunk the Utopia in just twenty minutes, and 562 passengers
Owner/Pitmaster: Christine’s Blues ‘N BBQ; Opened 2000Age: 53Smoker: Indirect Heat Wood-Fired PitWood: Mesquite and PecanRecords line the wall above the bar at Christine’s Blues ‘N BBQ. As soap operas played silently on the television, I asked her where all the good music was. With a smile, as if she thought nobody would
– Do you know which sausage is the loudest? “Science is all too often stereotyped as academic and aloof, and I am passionate about dispelling that.” https://t.co/cbXrbZE0m7 — Extra Crispy (@extracrispy) February 5, 2017 – The Sausage King of Austin will be crowned on February
On opening day of the 2018 Texas Rangers season, you’ll be able to enjoy a Kreuz Market sausage before the game. Texas Live!, a new dining and entertainment development is coming to Arlington. Situated between Globe Life Park and AT&T Stadium, the $250 million project will house the third location
The Gut Pak is to Waco what rings of smoked sausage are to Lockhart. It’s part of the city’s barbecue identity. A Gut Pak is smoked sausage, barbecue, beans, and cheese, and a few other items piled high atop a mess of Fritos, making this the huskier cousin of a Frito pie.Sometime in
– Emilio and Christi Soliz are cooking their own brand of Mexi-Q at Kings Hwy Brew & Q in San Antonio.– 2M Smokehouse got some high praise from San Antonio Express News critic Mike Sutter.– Pitt Stop BBQ in Lufkin might be the cleanest barbecue joint in
There’s a new beef rib in town. Carnal has found a temporary home in Austin, the epicenter of the Texas barbecue boom, while their spot back home, Brooklyn’s Smorgasburg, is closed for the winter. James Zamory and Aaron Saurer, the duo that make up Carnal, draw inspiration from Texas’s
Barbecue steeped in homemade sauce and traditions.
– “I think people that have secrets in cooking, I really think they’re a**holes.” – Pat Martin: – The KCBS is now accepting nominations for their BBQ Hall of Fame through March 1st.– Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland is now open for dinner, and they’re planning a second location
Update: Mark Loeffler, communications director for the Texas Department of Agriculture*, provided more details on their enforcement effort. Operation Maverick was launched in June 2015 to target any business buying or selling goods by weight. He didn’t have current numbers, but by March 2016, they had inspected 1,400 barbecue joints.
Oyster shells crackled under the car tires as I pulled into Gilhooley’s in San Leon. The parking lot is paved with them, and a pile taller than me rose like a dune at one end of the parking lot. A storm was rolling into the small town on the Gulf
“How I cook here is exactly how I cook in my backyard,” Pinkerton said—maybe because it is his backyard.
After thousands of barbecue meals, I’ve never been struck ill by smoked meat. Maybe it’s the long cooking time, or the preservative qualities provided by a layer of wood smoke, or maybe I’ve just been lucky. Either way, I put that streak to the test over the weekend.“How long can
– The playoffs can be tough, but don’t leave your grill behind: When your team loses in the playoffs and you just say the hell with it & leave the Weber in the parking lot. #chiefs pic.twitter.com/sFSGGtrTUb — David Eulitt (@davidphotokc) January 16, 2017 –
A small town barbecue rivalry that's really no contest.
– This breed of dog was essential to barbecue in the 1600’s: For hundreds of years the now-extinct turnspit dog was specially bred just to turn a roasting mechanism for meat https://t.co/1SJJYtrE1S — Atlas Obscura (@atlasobscura) January 11, 2017 – Our new favorite golfer, Davis Love