Check out these must see real estate listings from our partners.
– Barbecue, a film from Australia-based Urtext Films, is set to release next year. Matthew Salleh and Rose Tucker traveled across the globe to film different barbecue traditions: SAFC supported doco, Barbecue, to be released in 2017, examines the bonds people forge over meat and fire.
The experimentation never seems to end at Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland. Some days you can do a side-by-side taste test of different beef rib varieties, on others owner Ronnie Killen and pitmaster Manny Torres are serving flights of various smoked briskets. And when I stopped in last week they
Nine people were injured, and the gunman was killed.
Four decades of classic barbecue, still going strong thanks to a new owner.
Meat terminology is a strange thing. Think about it. Knuckle, clod, and even brisket are odd names for beef cuts. But none sound quite as funny as the gooseneck. It doesn’t come from the neck (it frankly doesn’t even sound like it comes from a steer), and no, it isn’t
– Tootsie Tomanetz of Snow’s BBQ has been cooking barbecue for 50 years, and at 81, she has no plans to stop.– Based on the BBQ reference alone, I’ve gotta vote Hogzillas: Here are the nickname finalists for the new minor league team in Kinston.
John Young is now settled in his native West Texas, but he took a circuitous route to get back there. He sold his barbecue joint in Sachse, northeast of Dallas, in 2001 and moved to Philadelphia for a corporate job, and then five years ago he moved back to San Angelo and
Pitmaster: Back Country Bar-B-Que; Opened 1975Age: 62Smoker: Wood-Fired Rotisserie SmokerWood: HickoryEarnest Griffith Sr. has been cooking barbecue in Dallas for 42 years. He started in downtown Dallas in 1970, when the area was teeming with workers in need of lunch. This was before the days of the downtown tunnels, which
Central Texas style barbecue, with a few surprising twists.
Tips for trips across the state.
– How to roast a whole cow: This is what it’s like to roast a 1,000-pound cow: https://t.co/hoHNi1HCf9 pic.twitter.com/2gxI7zxNdU — MUNCHIES (@munchies) September 15, 2016 – Smith “Smitty” McArthur of Smitty’s BBQ in Brownwood passed away. The Brownwood Examiner penned this obituary. – Parade
What Houston can learn from Dallas's low-income housing debacle.
Kerlin BBQ in Austin has been known for their ribs and brisket since opening in 2013, but Bill and Amelis Kerlin really made a splash with their smoked-meat kolaches. Those have been so much of a hit that soon they’ll have a dedicated kolache truck. I must admit that the
Our list of small screen must-sees starring some homegrown talent.
The best (and only) restaurant in Valera, TX.
Plus: A Mexican senator threatens to take back Texas if Donald Trump dismantles NAFTA, the Fort Worth Symphony goes on strike, and anti-LGBT billboards pop up in Waco.
A freshman shot another student on campus before turning the gun on herself in the school bathroom.
The headlights from a Chrysler 300 beamed through the window and into the historic dining room of Sonny Bryan’s Smokehouse in Dallas. It was after midnight, and the driver was waiting for his seemingly inebriated (or maybe balance-impaired) passenger to get back with a couple chopped brisket sandwiches. I had just ordered ribs
– Tickets to the Texas Monthly BBQ Festival go on sale at 10:00am today.– Meat Fight has announced its chef competitors for the event later this year. Tickets go on sale on 10/04.– Pig Stand #41 is likely to be demolished: New owner
Barbecue rookies have built a promising stop off of Northwest Highway in Dallas.
Barbecue for breakfast in Texas usually means an old time smokehouse that happens to open early. Whether it’s a ring of sausage and a Dr Pepper at Smitty’s in Lockhart or the whole menu at Snow’s BBQ in Lexington, you can find breakfast if you look hard enough (though the
– Texas Tech study shows that antibiotic-resistant bacteria from cattle feedlots can be spread by the Panhandle winds.– The most important meal: Breakfast taco perfection from @Valstexmexbbq https://t.co/V2dZfTIdjB pic.twitter.com/bDy8Toys6h — Eater Austin (@EaterAustin) August 30, 2016 – USA Today scoured the country
I have a Twitter follower who, for a while, enjoyed pointing out when a barbecue joint spelled their name “incorrectly.” Presumably, “Barbecue” and “BBQ” were acceptable, but not “Barbeque,” “Bar-B-Q,” or its slight variation “Bar-B-Que.” He’s not alone. The AP Stylebook, generally used by journalists, doesn’t like those alternate spellings either,
Welcome back to class, kids!
Mallory and Arnis Robbins. Photo by Wyatt McSpaddenOwner/Pitmaster: Evie Mae’s Bar-B-Que; Opened 2015Age: 32Smoker: Indirect Heat Wood-Fired PitWood: OakArnis and Mallory Robbins opened Evie Mae’s Bar-B-Que last year in Wolfforth. They started in a food trailer along the highway, and quickly gained a following. A year after opening, they celebrated a new
– Operation BBQ Relief is doing some amazing work in the flood-affected areas of Louisiana. Will Cleaver provided this update from their efforts. As of Tuesday, they had served over 180,000 meals. They need your donations.– John Mueller Meat Co. in Austin seized for non-payment of taxes:
What are those?
Barbecue in the Carolinas means pork, but it’s not just any pile of pulled pig that’s revered in eastern North Carolina. Whole hogs cooked over wood fill the legendary pit houses in this part of the state. It’s the traditional route, but it’s harder to execute than pork shoulders, which are
Mapping the state’s meatiest routes.
After a little gymnastics of our own, we can comfortably say that the Lone Star State dominated the Rio Olympics.
Sweden is ripe for a Texas barbecue revolution, and the Johans of Holy Smoke BBQ are prepared to lead it. Johan Fritzell and Johan Åkerberg met a few years ago and bonded over a shared love of smoked meats. They soon decided to join forces and open a barbecue joint that
Talented pitmaster Evan LeRoy has left his position at Freedmen’s Bar in Austin. He’s planning a place of his own, but details are still vague. LeRoy told me over the phone that he hoped to have something open in the Austin area within
Although he runs Franklin Barbecue out of Austin, Aaron Franklin is known worldwide for his barbecue. Franklin’s smoked meats are respected by his peers and revered by critics, and he has a James Beard Award to prove it. He has shared his knowledge through his show, BBQ With Franklin, and his
– BBQ guru Steven Raichlen shared his favorite stops for smoked meat with the Daily Beast, and Texas gets plenty of love.– These are the most influential barbecue joints in the country.– Why not try beef chuck in the smoker? Brisket is pricey
But hey, let's play along anyway.
Beef barbecue isn’t hard to find in Atlanta. Most menus feature brisket, and the city might just have more options for smoked beef short ribs than Fort Worth. But that wasn’t the case in 2007, when twins Justin and Jonathan Fox opened Fox Bros. Bar-B-Q just east of downtown Atlanta. In what
Barbecue joints aren’t simply born. It takes time to develop into one. A barbecue joint is a worn-in stool at a counter smoothed over by time. It’s a soot-stained ceiling, a broken-in barbecue pit, a menu with prices scratched out, and a bigger smile when you use cash. A barbecue joint evokes
– Delish looks at the wild world of cooking competitions, including how to become a barbecue judge.– Tasty Meat polled a number of notable grillers about common grilling mistakes. They shared the 25 most common ones.– I talked with the Leisuremen radio show about
At 11:48 a.m. on August 1, 1966, Charles Whitman began firing his rifle from the top of the University of Texas Tower at anyone and everyone in his sights. At 1:24 p.m., he was gunned down himself. The lives of the people who witnessed the sniper’s spree firsthand would never
Pork ribs, tradition, and the best bread in the business.
Have tube, will travel.
A series of séances, events made popular in the Victorian era, is making an appearance in Austin through next week.
– Livestock producers have increased supplies of hogs and cattle to a level described by Bloomberg as a “meat mountain.” Meat just keeps getting cheaper.– Beware pitmasters. The Atlantic dives into the root causes of tuberculosis, and determines that it might have first developed in people
Beef links worth celebrating.
Texas has lost one if its best pitmasters. John Lewis has taken his talents to South Carolina, and he doesn’t plan to come back to Texas anytime soon. “I live here, and I’m staying here,” he told me during my recent trip to Charleston to visit his brand-new, week-old establishment, Lewis Barbecue.
– We second the motion: .@JusticeWillett proudly casts all his votes for the next Pitmaster General of the United States—Aaron Franklin! pic.twitter.com/eOsgJ5o9eo — Justice Don Willett (@JusticeWillett) July 19, 2016 – A man in Austin said he worked at Franklin Barbecue and could
Pure, savory flavors, organic ingredients, and the best brisket in Waco.
Decent barbecue staples in a carefully cultivated atmosphere.
Texas’s latest police shooting is the first major test to the transparency of HPD’s new body camera program.