The future of Texas depends on how well we are able to educate kids who can’t speak English. Has an elementary school in El Paso figured out the best way to do it?
Ron Paul, the eleven-term congressman from Texas, first sought public office in 1974 to speak out against government monetary policy, and End the Fed proves how passionately he still wants the Federal Reserve’s carcass in his trophy room. The libertarian-cum-Republican rails against the central banking system for its
How Mike Judge got his groove back.
1. THE THUNDERBIRD HOTELSpare but chic sums up this refurbished motor court. A cowhide rug, a wood-and-metal table, and a single framed art poster is the extent of the interior decor, but you never feel deprived of accoutrements. After a day of sightseeing, take a splash in the pool or
Clothing designer and stylist extraordinaire Tina Knowles has taken the meaning of “stage mother” to a whole new level by creating flamboyant, one-of-a-kind costumes for her songbird daughters, Beyoncé and Solange. Miss Tina, as she’s known industry-wide, has parlayed her flair for fashion into two clothing lines, the ready-to-wear
Cockrell has lived in West Texas for twenty years and has been delivering babies for fourteen. She opened West Texas Birth Services, in Odessa, in 2001.My mother gave birth to my younger sister when I was sixteen. They induced her at forty weeks, and I was present for the
NAME: John Friend | AGE: 50 | HOME: The Woodlands | QUALIFICATIONS: Founder of Anusara, an increasingly popular style of hatha yoga / Has taught yoga for almost thirty years / Author of numerous yoga books, CDs, and DVDs, including Anusara Yoga 101 and Growing a Lotus• I was precocious
He’s got a bit of a rep, yet while Guy Clark is every inch the crusty, ornery cuss he’s always been, there’s a sad sense of resignation on Somedays the Song Writes You (Dualtone). After his wry 2006 triumph, Workbench Songs, this tone is a surprise from the
Not much in life has proved more reliable than Delbert McClinton. Like slipping into your favorite old T-shirt, you know what to expect with a new album of his, even if both the shirt and McClinton’s roadhouse-weary voice have started to fray a bit around the edges. The Lubbock-born
In the electronic-music world, inserting humanity into the coldness of a kilowatt ether is a challenge. Without vocals, things get even trickier. Yet for Houston’s Joe Corrales Jr., who records under the name Yppah, personality is all a matter of knowing the right knobs to tweak. His debut, in
Born and raised in Houston, the author of Why This World: A Biography of Clarice Lispector developed an early fascination with Latin and South America that he later stoked with travels to Brazil. His research on the late Brazilian novelist who, it has been said, “looked like Marlene Dietrich
If the phrase “eat local” stirs your activist soul, meet Texas State University associate professor James E. McWilliams in Just Food: Where Locavores Get It Wrong and How We Can Truly Eat Responsibly. He is not necessarily opposed to your ritual Saturday trip to the farmers’ market (though
The SeasonFor many hunters, Labor Day weekend is synonymous with the soft coos of the mourning dove. Every year, roughly 350,000 people in Texas are seduced by this avian siren song and harvest about five million of the four-ounce birds—that’s about 30 percent of the total number shot in the
Sam Gwynne, David Strohl and Karen Olsson.
Nugent mail accounted for roughly 90 percent of the letters to the editor regarding our July issue. A sampling of the remaining 10 percent can be found here.Capitol LettersCould you please explain to me why you consider Wayne Christian’s advocacy of “no scholarships for illegal aliens” such an outlandish idea
Two years, four months, and 26 days ago, I had a very different view of the world from the one I have as I sit down to write this letter. That was the last day that I wasn’t a parent. March 6, 2007. The next day my son was
Despite its status as a public health emergency, is the swine flu just another flu?
Fig TreeSan Antonio The recession has had many negative side effects, one being that notable new restaurants are not rolling off the assembly line with the regularity they used to. A positive side effect of the production slowdown is that we get a chance to recognize an old friend
Chapter 1Food Miles or Friendly Miles?: Beyond the “Farm to Fork” Paradigm of ProductionWho gets to define “the local”?—Melanie DepuisNo single concept unites the locavore movement more powerfully than food miles—the distance our food travels before we eat it. It’s an elegantly simple measure of environmental consciousness, has the benefit
Recipe From Chef David Bull’s Interactive Cookbook, Bull’s Eye On Food
Recipe from Ellerbe Fine Foods, Fort Worth.
It was the breast of times, it was the worst of times.
A year has passed since Hurricane Ike slammed into Galveston, but my hometown is still reeling from a storm without end.